Sunday, June 19, 2011

"Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing."

James 1: 2-4

This is what I read last night, by no accident. Friday's VCUG test proved very difficult for us. Avery was brave, but had a hard time during to procedure..understandably so. As we were reassuring our little one, the radiologist said to us, "do you see all of this reflux into the left kidney? That is not normal." Robbie and I burst into tears. We knew what that would mean for us.

After the procedure we went immediately to the urologist's office. There, he performed an ultrasound, increased her daily antibiotic dose, and let us know that he would have to operate once again. This time, we will have to wait yet again. Next March, Avery will have another ultrasound, and surgery will follow within a few months. The plan is for her to have surgery between 2 1/2 and 3 years of age. This time, they will be making a bikini-line incision and will be operating on the bladder. The plan is to remove the ureterocele (bulge in the bladder) and remaining portion of the extra ureter tube. The recovery should be similar to the last surgery.

I said this in my last post and I meant every word. We feel your support no matter where you are. Robbie and I are heart broken, as we were with the first surgery news. We are going through all kinds of emotions right now. Still, we trust in the Lord, and certainly do not lean on our own understanding....since we really don't understand it at all. We will praise him in this storm as much as we do in sunshine. It is very difficult for us and we ask for continued prayers and support for our family as we face this together. We are still trying to process everything. I wish I could write more, but first I must sort if out myself.
Avery is precious, and we know the Lord will guide her through this. We thank you for all of the love, support, emails, comment posts, phone calls, and by-chance meetings since Friday. :)  We love you all very much. Thank you. We can't say that enough. We are truly blessed.

And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
-Casting Crowns



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Kate. I'm sorry this wasn't better news and that our sweet Avery faces more surgery. Our prayers for "peace that surpasses all understanding" continue for you and Robbie. Your Auntie loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katelyn and Robbie,
    I have just cried reading this because I can now only imagine how helpless and scared you both are.... but I also know you're both strong and strong in your faith! You are both in my prayers and of course sweet Avery! Love you guys!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katelyn & Robbie -

    My heart aches for you both and for our precious Avery (Boo!)....how I'd hoped that she would not have to go through another surgery.

    We will continue to pray for her and for you - that God would wrap His arms of love around you and surround you with His comfort and peace.

    We love you!!
    A.Deb & U.Russ

    ReplyDelete